NMR Training Overview
Facility access is earned in stages. Completing the first stage of training earns basic access to the NMR Facility, comprising physical access to the laboratory and access to the Bruker 400 MHz spectrometer, data stations, printer, etc. Access to the Varian 500 MHz instrument requires completion of an additional, two-part training sequence. Further training is required for those desiring to perform variable-temperature experiments or other experiments of a more advanced nature. Those with deficient NMR spectroscopy background are expected to put forth extra effort as needed to get “up to speed” for independent work in the Facility; such efforts may include additional reading, study and hands-on practice. The NMR Facility Director will strive to provide training and direction as appropriate to meet individual needs. Commonly requested training sessions are described below, with links to an online NMR Training Registration form which must be used to request the training of interest. Arrangements for NMR training should be planned and initiated in advance to avoid scheduling conflicts; be sure to understand the requirements and allow adequate time to prepare for and complete those requirements.
Basic Facility Access (Bruker AV-400, 400 MHz Spectrometer)
- Complete the online NMR Training Registration form and request Basic Access training.
- You will be provided with a directed reading assignment and other pertinent information.
- After the reading assignment has been completed, you will answer a quiz over policies and other relevant topics from the assigned reading.
- A hands-on training demonstration session will be scheduled after the quiz has been successfully completed.
- The training demonstration session requires a commitment of about 3 hours and covers laboratory safety issues, basic spectrometer operation, and an introduction to the online instrument reservation system.
Advanced Access (Varian UI-500, 500 MHz Spectrometer)
Those with needs that cannot be met by the AV-400 spectrometer may request advanced training for access to the UI-500 spectrometer. Due to the nature of this training and the amount of content to cover, the training sequence is broken down into two parts. Both parts of the training sequence must be completed to earn access to the spectrometer; there is no partial credit or partial access.
- Complete the online NMR Training Registration form and request Advanced Access training.
- You will first be provided with detailed information and a directed reading assignment for Part I of the sequence. The Part I training demonstration session and exercise together require essentially a full-day commitment.
- After the Part I requirements have been successfully completed, you will be provided with detailed information and a directed reading assignment for Part II of the sequence. The Part II training session and exercise requires a commitment of about 3 hours.
- Access to the UI-500 spectrometer is earned after both parts of the training sequence have been successfully completed.
Miscellaneous Training Topics
Additional NMR training courses such as for variable-temperature (VT) experiments, quantitative measurements, diffusion, relaxation or kinetics experiments are typically organized on an ad hoc basis. Use the online NMR Training Registration form to request or suggest additional training courses of interest.